What is a Prosthodontist?
A Prosthodontist is a dentist who:
- Specializes in the esthetic restoration and replacement of teeth.
- Receives two or three years of additional specialized training after dental school.
- Provides dental treatment that focuses on optimum appearance and function.
Is Prosthodontics recognized by the American Dental Association?
Prosthodontics is one of the nine dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association. It is recognized because of the extensive studies and training that must be completed to earn the title Prosthodontist. Graduate programs in prosthodontics include classroom lectures and seminars, laboratory and clinical training in esthetics/cosmetics, crowns, bridges, veneers, inlays, complete and removable partial dentures, dental implants, TMD/TMJ-jaw joint problems, traumatic injuries to the mouth’s structures, congenital or birth anomalies to teeth, snoring, sleep disorders, and oral cancer reconstruction and continuing care.
A Prosthodontist is a skilled architect who can restore optimum function and appearance to your smile.Dedicated to the highest standards of care in restoring and replacing teeth, Prosthodontists are considered to be the masters of complete oral rehabilitation.
Is a Prosthodontist different from a "cosmetic dentist"?
Yes! Prosthodontists are recognized by the ADA for their extensive studies and training; the ADA does not recognize "cosmetic dentistry" as a specialty. Cosmetic dentistry is achieved by training during seminars or a series of courses limited to a few weekends or possibly weeklong courses. Cosmetic dentistry focuses on delivering a pleasing esthetic outcome, whereas Prosthodontic treatments are created to provide treatment that maximizes dental esthetics and provide superior function. Because of this, treatments provided by Prosthodontists have higher success rate and longer lasting results.
Do I need a Prosthodontist?
You need the care of a Prosthodontist if:
- You are missing one or more teeth.
- You are interested in dental implants.
- You wear dentures or removable partial dentures.
- You want to improve the aesthetics of your smile.
- You have medical problems and need a specialist's care.
Learn about our Covina prosthodontist today! Contact us to schedule a consultation.